Saturday, February 20, 2010

Beautiful Weather & A Run

Another beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest. While Greg headed to the lab, Shannon and I drove to Hells Gate State Park in Lewiston, ID to run another race. I was excited because this was a trail run through a state park. Everything seemed to conspire against us though. We were a little late to the race. It was farther away than what I originally thought, and - being the cheapskate that I am - we actually parked at the entrance of the park and walked a ways in to the race to keep from paying the $5 parking fee. :) We could see the runners making their way to the start line while we were walking, so we had to run before the race even started just to get there on time. As soon as we got to the start line, Shannon got called in to work, so we decided to run the 4-mile race instead of the 8-mile race we had originally planned. We barely had time to catch our breath before the race started...and we were all the way in the back of the pack. The race was mostly on narrow hiking/horseback riding trails on the side of the hill, so passing was difficult. We also were led astray at some point in the race, and had to cut through weeds and tumbleweed just to get back on track. Anyway.... we finally finished, and it was a beautiful day, and it was interesting to see a new state park. Here are some pictures....

Eeks! Shannon and I were a little late, so we actually had to run TO the starting line. We hadn't even caught our breath when they said "Go."

You can see how behind I am...we'll blame it on all the picture taking. :)


A view down the canyon.


This is the hill we had to run up to get to the starting line. We'll be on time for the next one!



Me, with Shannon, Angela & Anna

This is what I came home to. I'm sure she was just exhausted from cheering me on mentally. :)
Next weekend we're planning to do the Red Dress 5k here in town. Entrants are encouraged to wear a red dress to the race, so there should be some good pictures! Better find me a red dress...





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to many runners take photographs while they run but that looked like a great trail to run and the pics look great! Did you have to stop or did you take them on the run? Send pics from the red dress one-If I had time I would ship you a red dress from my theatre closet. Have a great weekend. No snow here so looks like we might be in school Monday. OOHH NNNOOO!
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I didn't think Dixie was allowed on the furniture??? That state park was a lil different from the ones here, huh? Can't wait to see the red dress 5k pics... I'm sure Greg was the first person to sign up for THAT race! <3 hb

Anonymous said...

Did I see something green on the ground? All we have seen has been white stuff. It is good to see someone enjoying getting out of the house. Dixie looks like she is in hibernation. So am I. We did get out today and shovel off the concrete pad at the driveway and didn't even have a heavy coat on. It was in the 50's. I guess we are getting ready to gear up for another snow Tues through Sat. It won't be as long as it has been till spring. We love you all and miss you every day.
Love,
M&J