Tuesday, August 25, 2009

National Lentil Festival 2009

Every August, Pullman is home to the National Lentil Festival. The Palouse region is responsible for growing 1/3 of the United States' lentils. Pullman celebrates by having a fair downtown, a 5K run, a 100K bike ride, hosting a lentil cook-off, serving lentil chili and lentil pancakes, a parade, bands, etc. It's a pretty big celebration. Greg and I loved it because you can get all sorts of things for free! We had free lentil chili, free sno-cones, and free cotton candy to name a few. We both ran in the 5K Tase T. Lentil run on Saturday morning, and Dixie joined us later for the parade downtown. She was doing fine until a person dressed up as a dog walked by handing out candy... she wasn't too fond of him. Imposter!
Here are a few pictures!

As soon as we left local restaurant Swilly's (where we celebrated our 4th anniverary) we walked into the Lentil Festival and saw the WSU Cougar.

I believe this is the US's largest bowl of chili. Free bowls of lentil chili for all!

The spout at the bottom of the giant chili bowl. It gave me heartburn just to watch the chili drip out!

The bowl was filled to the very brim at the beginning of the evening.

Free cotton candy!

Dixie & I enjoying the parade from a shady spot.

Tase T. Lentil himself. Some more parade pictures...



The WSU drumline.
Good parade!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did the lentil snow cone taste like? Sounds nasty! That big bowl of chili reminds me of the septic tank that Joe Dirt straps onto himself as a bomb and then all that poop starts guzzling out all over his face! Greg should have bought some Zantac in bulk and jacked up the price and had a little roadside stand....always a moneymaker. Miss you both! hbccccc

Example Blog said...

What the crap is a lentil? I thought that was a kitchen something-er-other.....I showed Courtney the blog and she wants to come out with me when I make an appearance :) btw...how much does it cost for a trip out there? Facebook me :) Lots of love, Fluff (Trent)

Unknown said...

I'm with Trent - what is a lentil? Like a pepper or spicy thing? Not sure but the internet will tell all that you want to know and some that you don't. Ha ha!!!! I love free stuff and it never seems to come my way. Always plum out of sight when I try to go to parades. Maybe because I take the kids and they are little moochers!!!! Tim is just as bad as they are though. Dixie has the greatest life that a dog can have in my opinion. She always gets to go places and see new things. She is always very personable too. We have almost completed the Man Cave in our basement. I will let you know when it is complete so some pics can come your way. Talk to ya soon.

Anonymous said...

That chilli definitely looks like it could give you heartburn and the red tractor has to be the same one Hannah and I saw 3 times in the July 4th parade in Ripley. Sounds like you had a great 4th Anniversary!
Love and miss you both,
Mom
Was the chilli really good? I may have to try those instead of the kidney beans in my chilli.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Trent doesn't know what a lentil is. I do,but I don't know that I've ever eaten any except in soup. Looks like a fun time again. I don't go to many events as you both well know. I guess we will be going to the camp this weekend for a couple of nights. Probably come back home on Sunday evening. I'd like to have a day at home. We did go for a 4-wheeler ride this past Sunday evening. First time in 2 years for me. I know I'm boring...
We are still in the process of decision making over some things.I'll talk to you about it later. Have fun and give Lindsey and Dixie a hug and kiss for us. We miss you every day.Take care.
Love,
M&J