Monday, October 10, 2011

Camping and Cookies

Two of my favorite things. Last weekend (world's slowest blogger here) we met the Dolin trio and headed to Eagle Camp on the Cherry River just outside of Richwood, WV. Although we had enjoyed some beautiful Fall days leading up to the trip, it was cold and rainy for the duration of our drive and campout. We managed to squeeze in one day and night of fresh air before calling it quits a little earlier than planned. Greg and Dolin actually spent a large portion of the trip collecting firewood that we stacked by the fire to dry. Apparently it dried well because when the stack collapsed into the fire ring, it wasted no time in going up in flames. :\ That was one warm fire...at least for a few minutes. We enjoyed the first hot chocolate(s) of the season that was also accompanied by the first snow of the season. Here are some of the highlights:

Scrunching her nose at Greg. :D

Dixie spent 95% of the weekend shivering. :( Sookie was in heaven and barely sat down.


The (bundled up) Dolin family!


My new camp meal...a fire-roasted quesadilla! I assembled quesadillas at home, wrapped them in foil, froze them and they worked out wonderfully on my high tech roasting stick.

Greg fashioned a bench by the fire. It was put to good use.

Ramen noodles. I'm not sure whose mouth is watering more!

Ah, the perfect smore.

Little pig, little pig...

The snow (!) as we hiked back out. October 1st.

Once we made it home, Greg was baking the last of the cookies. I peered inside of the "empty" bowl he sat by the sink and insisted there was enough in there for another cookie in there. As you can see.... I was right. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter you are a week late on the blog. I don't get a chance to look at my e-mail for a week lots of times. You all are quite the little explorers. I'd be there with Dixie. I can understand about the cookie too. Greg always ate the icing on the cake and Angela ate the cake. Some things never change. Keep making time for the fun things. Hope to see you soon. Love,MOM

Unknown said...

Hey you guys !! The baby had the right idea hitchin' a ride through the woods. Surprised Dixie didn't get a piggy-back or two. Of course, Sookie would never ride as long as she can sprint whenever she wants. Too bad it was cold and wet ... I can deal with the cold better than the wet..yuck ! I think Greg better leave the cookie making up to you....he gets a little greedy around sugary things....personal experience with him on that...wonder if he would sell me one of his cookies.. or I could trade him something for one. Talk to ya later.