Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Farmer's Market Saturdays

It has been a pretty quiet week or so in Pullman. Between working and working out, there's been little time to do much else. Not to mention that it's been too hot to do anything else! We've made it up to 99 so far, but I don't think that will be the highest temperature for the summer. Our last two weekends have consisted of waking up early on Saturday to bike to the farmer's market before it gets too hot. We bike about 8 miles on the rail-trail to get over to Moscow, ID where the market is full of wonderful smelling food, freshly picked fruits & vegetables, and live music. So far Greg and I haven't purchased too much, but we hear that as soon as all the produce comes on full-force, that you can buy almost anything for cheaper (and certainly fresher) than you can buy it at the grocery store. We're waiting for some corn on the cob, and I can't wait until apples are cheap and plentiful! They're 99 cents a pound now, which really isn't too bad, but later this summer the price drops way down so they can get rid of everything. Our trips to the market have turned out to be a great Saturday morning ritual. Here's a few pictures.

The trail just as we're leaving Pullman.

Greg & Brian

Gram would be so proud of my posture in this picture!

Standing in the middle of the market. You can buy "fresh-out-of-the-oil" miniature donuts (Greg's personal favorite is the cinnamon/sugar), dozens of varieties of freshly baked bread, fresh cherries of every variety, food and drinks from a wide variety of countries, fresh cut flowers & plants, local art & photography, and a lot more!

This is just a picture I took on the way to work this morning. The sunbeams shooting down in between the clouds were really beautiful, even though I didn't capture too well in the picture. I still haven't gotten over how much sky there is out here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be ready to eat by the time you bike to the farmers market. Great exercise. I would love to have the apples too! Hope Dixie wins the contest! Have a good week.
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

That looks like my kind of place. I knew Greg would like that kind of donuts. You better get ready to freeze some of those apples for the winter ahead. We won't have much if any garden. There are 12 little hoof prints that belong to the 3 little fawns that ate the plants down to the ground. It has rained here so much the corn just didn't do anything. I've been spending a lot of time the last week at the shop. We moved the antiques and several spaces around. I need to make up a few new things for next week. I hope the Nazarene camp is what they tell me it will be. Trent's coming up tonight and going back to Beckley tomorrow evening or Thursday. I heard Bucky got snake bit this afternoon, but I guess he's ok. I saw Joyce and GG walking. Well,call when you can. I miss you all every day. We love you.
Love,
M&J