Monday, January 5, 2009

Snow, Snow & More Snow!

A few months ago when Greg and I were calling about apartments, somebody here in Pullman told us that they received very little snow and had rather dry winters. Surprise! We have a few feet of snow during our first week in Washington. Yesterday was so cold that nothing melted. Today we woke to find a few more inches of snow on the ground, and more falling as this is typed. Below is our new place, we're the unit on the right. Notice how much snow has collected on the bumper of Greg's truck!



Although it's difficult to judge from this picture, my car probably has a foot of snow on top of it. Our parking lot is a few inches of ice, topped with a few inches of snow. Did I mention that we live on the side of a pretty steep hill??

This was our last day of driving, shortly after exiting Interstate 90 at Coeur d'Alene. For quite a ways, we were driving through a complete white-out. We averaged 22.5 mph for 90 miles!!

This is in Idaho. I'm really glad that sign wasn't completely buried...I might have missed the warning to watch for ice! :) Just down the road was a sign for a place to put chains on your vehicle that was almost completely buried.

This is the rest stop we took a break at right near the Montana/Idaho border. Check out the roof! Greg talked with a lady from Alaska who was just out driving around looking at scenery. She assured us that the roads would be better in Idaho. They weren't. As a side note, the mountainous section of Idaho is some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen. If we hadn't been pulling trailers, the drive might have actually been enjoyable!

We have everything situated in our new place now...just need some living room furniture. We've been exploring the campus and the town a little each day. The rec center looks great! Once school starts, Greg should be in excellent shape from walking straight up and down the hills in order to get to his classes. We are still relying on libraries for internet, as our laptop seems to be on the blink. Well, that's all for today...we'll keep you up to date! Here's hoping the snow stops soon!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

They are teaming up on me at fox's

YOU MUST COME BACK!!

Anonymous said...

Juney needs to stop whining and I can't believe all that snow!

Anonymous said...

Oops! I accidently forgot my name on that last one... it was because I was feeling so sorry for Juney... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Bozzman said...

Hey we left your boy in a bloody heap today, ha! No backup in site. Glad you guys made it, hope you like the snow, if not, its too late. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Years, also. I left another comment but it never showed up, huh, well. I dig Gregs goofy look in that pic. If you need me, yell on the cell or use fox's 18002489899#.Later...T

Anonymous said...

Linz & Greg, I knew you all could do it- That was a tough drive with a trailer too pull. The Lord answered our prayers and delivered you safely too your new home. Enjoy the snow. Send us a little-enough for a day or 2 out of school. I think Fox misses you Linz, We do too!
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you all finally made it! We miss you guys!

Craig and Vicki

Unknown said...

Good grief!! That snow looks deep!
Could swallow Dixie up if she gets out in it. Keep a tight leash. I hope you don't turn into popsicles since it's so cold up there. We are about to get some yucky weather too i think but nothing like that i hope. Me and Tim and the kids just ordered Rock Band so we won't even want to go out anywhere anymore. We could turn into hermits!!! Linz, have you found a job yet? Can't remember if you said or not. Later taters!!!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey is right. The scenery is beautiful. I told them in church Sunday that we are to thank God in all things even when it isn't easy. I do thank Him for His watch and care over you all. I'm sure it was a long haul. It' rainy here and
just real yucky. I think Wed night,we are to get snow and Thurs. I'm sorry I missed your call.Had to go to WMart.I took a cold and felt pretty lousy for a couple of days,but some better. Well,take care of each other. We miss you very much. Love,
M&J

Anonymous said...

Glad that you guys made it safely - looks like it was an adventure. I think that I would have had to pull over and wait out the weather but by the looks of things that snow won't melt until April. Hope things are going well.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!! We are so glad you made it!! That is a crazy amount of snow but the scenery looks beautiful. Be careful up there!! :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to know if you have found any malls yet? I am so glad you guys made it. I was thinking of you when I was making peanut butter balls (again) and having a piece of cheese cake. Miss Ya Kathy

Trentles said...

That looks potentially fun! You should grab some garbage bags a find a hill somewhere! Your apt looks a lot like my friend use to have....hope you don't find water in your kitchen light fixture like they did! -The Bro

Anonymous said...

Hello to Pullman, WA We are getting some snow, but it's so windy that you can't enjoy it. Just got back from the gym (shredding my shoulders), Greg is cooking (nice). Have you got to workout the sludge yet, after driving 4 days and eating on the road??? You should invest in some snow shoes for a good workout. Will you be shopping at Wal-Mart for groceries or doing the walking thing. Let me know. Love you guys.

Marsha said...

Yowzzie!!!! Looks like more snow than what we have in WV!!

No school today in Calhoun, Gilmer & Marion Counties...it's a good day for covering up and vegzin!!

Love the pics...keep sending them our way!!

Love Aunt Marsha